[NHCOLL-L:3954] Re: Vats for storing large specimens in alcohol

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 21:26:30 EDT 2008

You got some good advice from Andy and Tom.  It is the nature of all
compressible gaskets that eventually they will fail from repeated
compression, aging, contact with the preservative, or a combination of all
of the above.  No compressible material retains its regain for long.  You
might look to a non-adhesive backed gasket for a replacement if there is a
channel you can fit the gaskets into (non-adhesive means less chemicals to
contaminate the preservative), and should consider a closed-cell silicon
type of gasket.  But be prepared to replace the replacement gasket as well.

Do you know what the big box containers are made of?  High density
polypropylene (HDPE) is good, but it does allow a certain amount of oxygen
to permeate (oxidation is a major cause of deterioration of specimens).  Do
these containers have to be shielded from UV exposure (polyethylene rarely
has UV absorbers in it).  You might also consider the polycarbonate
containers that were written up a year or so ago in the SPNHC newsletter by
Amy Estep (sorry I don't have the reference handy, but I am in Chicago at
present, not at my office).

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
19 Deike Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-2709
jes67 at psu.edu