[NHCOLL-L:4101] Removing Shellac (?) From Bone

kwellspring kwellspring at amherst.edu
Wed Dec 3 16:27:30 EST 2008

Greetings,

There¹s a lion skull in our osteological collection that is coated with a
splotchy yellow glaze that I suspect may be shellac (although it could also
be a polyurethane or other varnish). It is starting to flake off and I¹m
concerned that it will be carrying away pieces of bone as it continues to
degrade. If it would not be of further harm to the specimen, I would like to
remove the glaze.

Does anyone know of a way to
A.) Identify the glaze?
B.) Use a solvent or other agent to remove it?

Are there any publications that I can consult?

Thank you in advance.

Kate Wellspring

Kate Wellspring
Collections Manager
Amherst College Museum of Natural History
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 542-2165
www.amherst.edu/museumofnaturalhistory