[NHCOLL-L:4116] RE: Possible replacement to alcohol storage?

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:59:48 EST 2008

Yes, the Vink et al. paper is very valuable--the authors were careful to
control as many variable as they could.  Their study does have some
limitations, chiefly that it only ran for six weeks and only involved
arthropods.  It would be interesting to see a similar experiment run with an
accelerating aging component to find out what will happen to tissues in
glycol, RNAlater, etc. in 10 or 20 years.

The Vink et al. results are useful for making decisions about preserving
fluids for for field collecting, but not so useful for decisions about
long-term storage (six weeks is way too short a test period to be
signifcant).  I also found it interesting that similar results came from
glycol and alcohol at -80C, which suggests that perhaps it is the -80
temperature might be more important than the fluid.

Also, I would also urge caution about using RNAlater if you want to conserve
the tissues for use in the distant future (for use with new techniques in 10
or 20 years) as it is proprietary and therefore we don't know what is in it,
therefore future researchers won't know, either.

--John

jes67 at psu.edu