[NHCOLL-L:4117] Flammability of Plastic Crates in Alcohol Storage

Del Re, Christine delre at mpm.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:35:05 EST 2008

Some day our alcohol specimens will be re-housed in a purpose built room
(many rooms actually to reduce volume) on open static shelving. Rather
than cardboard, we'd like to use rigid plastic milk crates which I know
others of you have used for move projects.  Between these choices, that
is paper or plastic boxes/containers, which will present the lowest
flammability problem for fire safety? We'd like to use some type of
container to aid in future specimen retrieval. I know that many of you
have dealt with this type of question in recent years.   If there is a
publication that covers this, can you please remind me what it is?

With thanks for any help, Chris

Christine Del Re                      Voice:  (414) 278-2780
Senior Conservator                 Fax:    (414) 278-6100
Milwaukee Public Museum    e-mail: delre at mpm.edu
800 W. Wells St.
Milwaukee, WI  53233-1478