[NHCOLL-L:4121] mammal tendons

Carrlee, Ellen M (EED) ellen.carrlee at alaska.gov
Fri Dec 12 13:50:23 EST 2008

Can a mammal be loosely identified by measuring the size of the crimp in
the fibril of a tendon?  I examine many museum artifacts made by Alaska
Native peoples who use sinew extensively for sewing....if I could
measure the crimp and make a reasonable guess if I were looking at
caribou vs bear vs marine mammal, for example, that would be tremendous.
Is that a complete fantasy?  I believe it is the crimp I see under
crossed polars that seems to have an undulating extinction, like bands
across the sinew.  I'm afraid it is probably more complicated than that,
but hopefully someone who understands anatomy better than I can set me
straight...
Thank you,
Ellen Carrlee

Conservator