[NHCOLL-L:3760] Re: ordering formalin

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:30:04 EST 2008

Tonya,
You can order formaldehyde that is pre-diluted 1:9 with water and buffered
with two sodium salts.

The preferred solution for fixing and storing amphibians, reptiles, and
fishes is one part full-strength formaldehyde mixed with 9 parts distilled
or deionized water (this dilution is commonly called "10% formalin") and
buffered with 4 g monobasic sodium phosphate monohydrate + 6.5 g dibasic
sodium phosphate anhydrate per liter.

If you have a source of deionized or distilled water and a scale to weigh
the buffers, it is usually less expensive to buy the formaldehyde
full-strength and do the dilution and buffering yourself.  In part the cost
will depend on how much you need.  Bear in mind that you will have to pay
extra for HazMat shipping for the formaldehyde in any case.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if you have any other questions.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
1528 ½ Puddintown Road