[NHCOLL-L:3685] Donation Legal Advice

Karen Morton Kmorton at natureandscience.org
Thu Jan 3 10:49:22 EST 2008

We are looking for advice on how to handle a 2007 year-end donation.  A
potential donor vigorously attempted to donate some mineral specimens to
our museum in the last week of 2007.  Unfortunately our entire
Collections staff, and half of the Administrative staff, was already out
on vacation.  The donor has an appraisal letter for the minerals that is
dated from December 2007, and faxed it to the museum to the only person
they could get in contact with before the end of the year.

Our museum has a policy of NOT back-dating donations, but does a dated
appraisal letter and a good-faith effort change the situation?  We
welcome any advice from those of you who have had similar circumstances.

Respectfully,

Karen Morton

Collections Manager

Museum of Nature and Science

P.O. Box 151469

Dallas, TX 75315-1469

Phone: 972-201-0595

Fax: 214-428-4356

Inspiring Minds Through Nature and Science

www.natureandscience.org