[NHCOLL-L:3696] Specialized equipment for moving museum cabinets

Trock, Debra dtrock at calacademy.org
Wed Jan 9 13:36:41 EST 2008

Everyone,

The California Academy of Sciences is currently in the process of moving our
collections in to our new facility in Golden Gate Park.  Most of our new
cabinets are oversized and did not fit into our elevators.  This has required
the construction of specialized equipment to facilitate moving them.  These
are oversized "hand trucks" that have a frame which allows the cabinet to be
tilted back onto the dolly before it is moved.  We are using these for our 9
ft. tall single herbarium cabinets, for our 9 ft. tall double Entomology
cabinets, and our Birds and Mammal and Anthropology cabinets. We have six of
these and when we are finished with the move we will probably keep at least
one or two of them, but it is possible that we will have 4 - 5 others that
will need to find a good home.

If you or anyone you know of is preparing to move museum collections these
would be handy pieces of equipment to have.  I do not know yet whether we
will be allowed to give these away, but I would imagine that if there is any
charge it will be small (plus you would also have to bear the cost of having
them shipped).

If you might be interested, please contact me off list, and I will send a
photo of the equipment and answer any other questions you might have.

Please plan to pay us a visit when we open our new facility in the fall of
this year.

Deb Trock, Senior Collections Manager

Botany Department CAS

dtrock at calacademy.org