[NHCOLL-L:3894] Fwd: Flooding: Summary of 6.25.08 Call and Salvage Video

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 08:38:31 EDT 2008

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
2419 Barbour Road
Falls Church  VA 22043-3026 USA
t/f 703.876.9272

____________________________________
 From: heritagepreserv
To: taskforce at heritagepreservation.org
BCC:  CAHawks
Sent: 6/27/2008 2:14:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj:  Flooding: Summary of 6.25.08 Call and Salvage Video

TO:  Members of the  Heritage Emergency National Task Force
                 and Directors of State Cultural Heritage  Agencies

Thanks to all who  participated in the conference call Wednesday, June 25,
especially  representatives from the Gulf Coast who signed on to share their
expertise. We  appreciate the time everyone took to provide current information
on damage to  cultural heritage and new response efforts. A summary of the
call, which  includes links to resources, is posted at
http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/TFcurrent.html. Please inform us  of any errors of fact or
omission.

The next  conference call will take place on Wednesday, July 2, 2008, at
11:00 a.m. EDT  (10:00 a.m. CDT).

We are pleased to  announce that the chapter on coping with water-damaged
collections from the  Field Guide to Emergency Response DVD is available online
at _http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/WaterSegmentFG.HTM_
(http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/WaterSegmentFG.HTM) .  The 10-minute
segment combines hands-on demonstrations with concise advice  from preservation
experts. Practical tips on safety, equipment, and salvage  priorities also make
the video a useful guide for rescuing family treasures.  Heritage Preservation
has partnered with the Institute of Museum and Library Services
(http://www.imls.gov/) to make this  useful resource available as streaming video. The
Field Guide was published in  2006 with support from the National Endowment for
the Humanities.

We hope you will  spread the word to your constituents and link to the video
from your Web  sites.

Jane  Long
Vice President,  Emergency Programs
Heritage Emergency National Task  Force