[NHCOLL-L:3785] CAS/DS Open Again

Trock, Debra dtrock at calacademy.org
Tue Mar 4 19:07:53 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

Well after a long 6-7 months, the Botany Department at the California Academy
of Sciences is moved into our new building and nearly ready to function
again.  It took us 12 days during the first two weeks of December to box up
our entire collection and move it to a freezer warehouse.  Then, while the
plants were in cold storage our cabinets were moved and installed.  Starting
near the end of January, we began moving collections into the new building.
It took another 12-13 days for that process.  And we have spent the past two
weeks moving our offices and prep room items.

For those of you who have sent requests for loans or information, we will
soon be able to start filling those requests.  Or, if you have been holding
off on sending us loan returns, loan requests or exchanges, please feel free
to send them now.  We will fill requests as quickly as we can, but I know we
have a good sized backlog, so please be patient.  In addition, requests for
images will take a while as we have to get our photographic equipment set up
again, and that is not at the top of everyone's agenda right now.

At least until the end of April, you will need to continue to use our Howard
Street address.  Mail and packages are shuttled daily from that location to
the new building.  At the end of April our new address will be:  Botany
Department, California Academy of Sciences, 55 Concourse Drive, Golden Gate
Park, San Francisco, CA  94118.

If you need to pay us a visit in person, that is possible as well.  However,
I need to know at least a few days in advance of when you would like to visit
so that we can make arrangements with Security and Building Operations.  Be
advised, that much of our building (including the really cool public floor
parts) are still under construction and we cannot take anyone on tours of the
facility at this time.

I hope you will all find a reason to pay us a visit once we are open to the
public at the end of next September.  Keep your eye out for press coverage
and upcoming documentaries on the Discovery Channel and National Geographic.

Dr. Debra Trock
Senior Collections Manager, Herbarium
California Academy of Sciences
875 Howard Street