[NHCOLL-L:4421] Re: Fungus infected botanical specimens, solution?

Moore, Simon simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
Mon Aug 3 04:38:39 EDT 2009

Dear Alina,

I have frequently treated specimens with mould problems - both active and dried out, on all sorts of taxonomic groups of biological specimens.  Dirk has suggested irradiation which is an effective way of gradually killing off the mould during mitosis.  Brushing with alcohol will also neutralise and will remove fungal growth effectively but depending on the affected tissue will need to be done quite carefully as the underlying tissue will have been semi-digested by fungal enzymes.

The freezing treatment should neutralise the mould anyway through cell-wall rupture by ice crystal growth.

With all good wishes,
Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council,
Department of Culture, Communities and Rural Affairs,
Museums & Archives Service,
Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane,
Winchester SO23 8RD. UK.
Internal  8 327 6737