[NHCOLL-L:4434] RE: Taxidermy Question

Moore, Simon simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
Mon Aug 10 05:06:38 EDT 2009

I  would be surprised if such a product left a 'Brylcreem Finish' to
taxidermy mounts!  At the present I would use upholstery cleaning foam
to remove any undesirable effects from such a mount but always try a
small test patch first.
If the mount is somewhat older (50 years plus) then natural lanoline can
sometimes give this effect but it shouldn't become so greasy that it
comes off on hands!

With all good wishes,
Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council,
Department of Culture, Communities and Rural Affairs,
Museums & Archives Service,
Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane,
Winchester SO23 8RD. UK.
Internal  8 327 6737