[NHCOLL-L:4476] Re: Mould on fossils

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:14:29 EDT 2009

Are you positive that this is mold?  Mold needs a nutrient base to grow, as
well as high humidity (>65% for most species).  There are very little
nutrients on fossils, unless the mold is eating some organic-based
coating.   You might be seeing a salt efflorescence or crystallization of
minerals in the rock matrix (e.g., pyrite disease) rather than mold--try
scraping some off and looking at it under a microscope.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
19 Deike Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-2709
jes67 at psu.edu