[NHCOLL-L:4479] Re: Mould on fossils

Demouthe, Jean JDemouthe at calacademy.org
Mon Aug 31 11:42:02 EDT 2009

We encountered similar problems in some fossils from the Stanford Univ. collection.  These specimens had been mounted in plaster, and then framed in wood.  Over the years, they got wet several times.  Some of the gypsum (plaster) recrystallized on the surface of the specimens.  In a few cases, there was also mold involved, which appeared to be mostly in and on the old wooden frames.

We dealt with this by removing the frames, and cleaning the mold and efflorescence using dry brushes and a HEPA vacuum.

You should check to see if there is any plaster or other support medium involved, and take those materials into consideration when planning your conservation methods.

I hope this helps.

Jean DeMouthe

Dr. Jean F. DeMouthe
Senior Collections Manager for Geology
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, California 94118
jdemouthe at calacademy.org<mailto:jdemouthe at calacademy.org>
(415) 379-5258