[NHCOLL-L:4206] Displaying taxidermy specimens in contemporary artworks

Heather.Thorwald at dmns.org Heather.Thorwald at dmns.org
Wed Feb 25 10:20:20 EST 2009

I am posting this inquiry for a colleague from the AAM Registrars
Committee.  She is from the art museum world and needs advice on
displaying taxidermy specimens (specifically water buffalo from the
Indian subcontinent and made within the last decade).  Please contact
her directly if you can help.

Heather Thorwald
Registrar
Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Dear All,

I'm looking for some examples of how museums may have dealt with
displaying taxidermied specimens that were created outside of the United
States that are part of contemporary artworks.

My specific concern is that if the specimens were created using toxic
materials (arsenic, formaldehyde, chrome sulfates, etc.), how do you
protect the viewing public from these artworks?  Should they be enclosed
in cases (where possible)? Is keeping them out of reach of the public,
either on platforms with barriers or up on walls enough?  I am inclined
to think yes to the cases and no to the platforms/placement out of reach
solution, but maybe I'm being overly cautious?

If you've had to deal with a similar situation within the past decade or
so, especially with specimens coming from Asia, please let me know how
you handled the safe display of such objects in your galleries.

Many thanks!

Clare

Clare McGowan
Collections Manager and Registrar