[NHCOLL-L:4140] Cleaning oxidized pyrite mineral specimens

Robyn Hodgkins hodgkins at chem.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 8 19:53:35 EST 2009

I am a UCLA chemistry graduate student helping the Natural History
Museum of Los Angeles County Mineral Science department. They have
several minerals containing iron sulfides that have become brown in
color. The corrosion has not been completely identified, but we believe
it is mainly oxidized pyrite corrosion. The Museum is interested in
cleaning these minerals. I have found literature about using
ethanolamine thioglycollate to clean. Has anyone used this or has an
opinion of how this would compare to Super Iron Out? thanks!

Robyn Hodgkins
Graduate Student
Garrell Group
UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry