[NHCOLL-L:4144] FW: Cleaning oxidized pyrite mineral specimens

Joy Irving joyirving at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 07:06:44 EST 2009

From: joyirving at hotmail.com
To: hodgkins at chem.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: [NHCOLL-L:4140] Cleaning oxidized pyrite mineral specimens
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:20:17 +0000

Dear Robyn,

I've treated many pyritized mineral specimens using the ammonia
treatment method - the definitive paper on this is : Waller R.
1987.  An Experimental Ammonia Gas Treatment Method for Oxidized
Pyrite Mineral Specimens.  Preprints (Working Group 13), pp.
623-630.  ICOM Committee for Conservation.  8th Triennial
Meeting, Sydney, Australia.  6-11 Sept. 1987.  Getty
Conservation Institute, Los Angeles.

Sorry, I haven't had any experience of using ethanolamine
thioglycollate, and have never heard of Super Iron Out - but Rob
Waller's paper was my bible!

Hope this helps!

Joy Irving

Mineral Collections

Oxford University Museum of Natural History

Oxford

U.K.

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:53:35 -0800
> From: hodgkins at chem.ucla.edu
> To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
> Subject: [NHCOLL-L:4140] Cleaning oxidized pyrite mineral specimens
>
> I am a UCLA chemistry graduate student helping the Natural History
> Museum of Los Angeles County Mineral Science department. They have
> several minerals containing iron sulfides that have become brown in
> color. The corrosion has not been completely identified, but we believe
> it is mainly oxidized pyrite corrosion. The Museum is interested in
> cleaning these minerals. I have found literature about using
> ethanolamine thioglycollate to clean. Has anyone used this or has an
> opinion of how this would compare to Super Iron Out? thanks!
>
> Robyn Hodgkins
> Graduate Student
> Garrell Group
> UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry
> hodgkins at chem.ucla.edu
> 310-206-9434

Are you a PC?  Upload your PC story and show the world Click Here!