[NHCOLL-L:4384] PETE Container for Malacology Collections

Jane MacKnight JMacKnight at cincymuseum.org
Thu Jul 9 15:11:31 EDT 2009

Finding archival storage containers for malacology collections has been
a challenge for our curator.  We use a combination of acid-free boxes,
glass vials, and the PET clamshell boxes (from Gaylord) but we've been
looking for something to replace the smaller sized acrylic boxes with
snap lids.

Recently the curator has found 2oz and 4oz round containers with
separate flat lids both components are made of PET by two companies,
Solo and Sysco.  My concern is that they are coated with something to
accommodate food, like the Ziploc bags.  Has anyone used these
containers?  Or done any research?

I realize that we can get the PET containers from Gaylord in custom
sizes but funds are always an issue and off the shelf products can be
cheaper.

Thanks,

Jane

Jane C MacKnight

Senior Registrar

Cincinnati Museum Center

1301 Western Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45203

T: 513-287-7092

F: 513-455-7169

Cell: 513-478-8168

Open Feb. 13 through Sept. 7 - Dinosaurs Unearthed will take you back in time with its more than 20 life-sized roaring, moving dinosaurs, full skeletons, fossils and reports on significant dinosaur discoveries. See it with the OMNIMAX film, Dinosaurs Alive!