[NHCOLL-L:4398] Re: inquiry from Nepal

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Jul 20 16:31:54 EDT 2009

>If anyone has been contacted by Govinda Bhandari, director of
>Research and Conservation of Nature Nepal (RECON), regarding an
>invitation to visit to your institution, I'd appreciate it if you
>would contact me off-list.

There's a rash of things like this going around, and a few are from
legitimate researchers, even if many are not. This is worth
discussing on-list.

For one example I encountered recently, Narender Sharma of the
Zoological Survey of India appears to be entirely legitimate.

On the other hand, Rajkumar Chauhan of the "Zoological & Botanical
Garden of  Kathmandu, Nepal" is a fake, and it has been suggested
that this is an outfit trying to get people illegally into the US
(they use the letter of invitation to get a Visa, and then sell that
to a third party).

Other vaguely-similar cases in the past reported here on NHCOLL
appear to be fronts for biological supply companies, but this is a
different sort of scam; and it's based on the real-life practices of
institutions in and around India, soliciting letters of invitation to
work abroad.

One cannot safely assume either that they are all real, OR that they
are all fakes. You need to investigate carefully on a case-by-case
basis. There is no reason to offend legitimate researchers in the
process of weeding out the frauds.

To wit: Govinda Bhandari is the name of a PhD student at Kathmandu
University in 2008. I find no records, however, relating to any
entity known as "Nature Nepal". Unless it is a brand-spanking new
NGO, this one is suspicious. It's not impossible for a PhD student to
occupy a directorship right after graduation, but it's also not
impossible for someone to just grab your name off the web and use it
as a legitimate-sounding but hard-to-trace pseudonym.

Sincerely,