[NHCOLL-L:4411] Re: Lids for glass jars

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:11:06 EDT 2009

What sizes of jars are you looking for lids for?

I don't know what "pulp/vinyl" lids are either, but it might be worth asking
the manufacturer.  It may just be another version of polyvinyl chorlide
lids, which you don't want.

Polyethylene lids are fine if your lighting is UV shielded and you avoid
exposing the lids to sunlight, but the low-density PE lids may allow too
much oxygen permeance.

The "fluoropolymer resin-lined caps" sounds like it is probably a rigid lid
(similar to bakelite). What you want is a lid that is slightly flexible (so
that it will conform to the irregularites of the jar and be more resistant
to backing-off) and a soft enough liner that you can tighten the lid down
sufficiently.  I would avoid the rubber lined caps as the rubber (if real
rubber) will have a very short lifespan.

You might consider asking for samples of the various types of lids.  You can
test the plastic yourself for the presence of chlorides to eliminate the PVC
lids and you can get a better assessment of how well the liners are likely
to hold up.

--
John E. Simmons
Museologica
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
19 Deike Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-2709
jes67 at psu.edu