[NHCOLL-L:4235] RE: Number of collection holding natural History Museums

Furth, David FURTHD at si.edu
Wed Mar 11 13:30:19 EDT 2009

Andy,

First of all you are to be complemented for all your work to "fix" the ethanol shipment issues with IATA, DOT, etc.   I have thought since this arose a number of years ago (post 9/11) that this it the way to go rather than trying to find alternative fluids and other mini-go-arounds.  Our Museum is presumably preparing some data for your recent requests for quantities of transactions/specimens/shipments in ethanol.

Actually the best person to answer this current question is probably your recent Kansas colleague John Simmons.  Recently in a Collections Management Training Program here he mentioned, if I understood correctly, that there are estimated to be ca. 3.5 billion specimens in 6,500 NH museums globally, 1,200 NH museums in the USA.  I hope that this is the kind of data you are seeking.

Dave

David G. Furth, Ph.D.

Department of Entomology

MRC 165, P.O. Box 37012