[NHCOLL-L:4255] RE: Collections access

Trock, Debra dtrock at calacademy.org
Fri Mar 20 10:36:29 EDT 2009

Kelly,

Some of our access policies are still in flux since we've moved into our new
building, but generally, we do not have weekend access at all for visitors.
As with Minnesota, we allow some visitors who are well known to us to stay
into the early evening, but our security folks lock all of our collections
doors at 8:00, so even staff can't work after that.  We have key card access
to our collections rooms, which allows our research associates and students
(who all have badges) to work on weekends.  And, there are docent volunteers
who have access to our collections on weekends, as we offer behind the scenes
tours to the public through the week as well as on weekends.  These are all
led by docents.  In general, our new building is so open to the public in
many areas, that we have to have key card access to get through almost all of
the doors leading to the research and administrative parts of the building,
including key card access between floors in our elevators.  That means that
any time we have visitors, we have to give them temporary badges not only for
them to get into the collections rooms (my collections are on 2 floors and in
both wings of the building), but they can't even go up and down in elevators
or to the cafeteria to get lunch without a badge.

Hope this helps.

Deb

Dr. Debra Trock

Senior Collections Manager, Botany