[NHCOLL-L:4268] old Eritrean place name

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 30 15:58:41 EDT 2009

After an hour searching all the printed and online gazetteers (and
since the "Fuzzy Gazetteer" website seems to be defunct), I have to
toss this one up for outside assistance:

We have a specimen labeled as being from Eritrea in 1930, and the
place name begins with the letters "Qiqlas" (or possibly "Giglas" or
"Qiglas"); the remaining letters are unclear, but the entire name
appears to be "Qiqlasom". Note that while the borders of Eritrea are
not now where they were in 1930, my inability to find the place name
is not related to a change of country; I have searched the global
place names gazetteers, and there are no place names anywhere in the
world that begin with "Qiqlas", so it is either an extremely obscure
place, or one that has an entirely different name now.

Thanks in advance for any help,