[NHCOLL-L:4608] Formalin test strips

Andrew Hope ahope at unm.edu
Wed Nov 11 09:01:50 EST 2009

Hi,
I'm new to the list-serv so apologies if this has been
approached before/recently:

I'm interested in testing tissue sub-samples (mammal
muscle/organs/skin; fluid preserved) for formalin fixation
and was wondering if anyone can suggest a reliable and
cost-effective source that they have had good success
with.  Specifically, I wish to test for historic formalin
fixation that precluded archiving of specimens in ethanol,
potentially many years ago. The test therefore needs to be
fairly sensitive to residual formalin.  I realize that
there has been a protocol developed by Waller and
McAllister (Proceedings of the 1985 Workshop on Care and
Maintenance of Natural History Collections:93-99) but this
was purported to only be sensitive enough for all-formalin
OR all-ethanol.  I've checked VWR and Fisher and both
quote formalin test strips at roughly $70 per 100 strips.

Any other suggestions and/or advice about the
effectiveness of VWR/Fisher tests would be much
appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew Hope

PhD Candidate