[NHCOLL-L:4572] dyeing forams

Maggie Carrino mcarrino at sdnhm.org
Tue Oct 27 13:39:23 EDT 2009

Sorry for the cross-posting...

Does anybody have experience with dyeing forams?  A local scientist has
recommended food coloring, but I'd like to explore non-organic(?) based
options.  I have read that red food-dye is made from crushed beetle
carapaces, so I can at least recommend that our department not use red
if they do proceed with the food coloring route.

I wonder if India ink would work?

Thanks for your input or suggested reading on this topic.

Maggie Carrino

Fossil Preparation Lab Manager

Department of Paleontology and Paleoservices

San Diego Natural History Museum

Your Nature Connection

Phone:      619.255.0320

Fax:          619.255.0312

Website: http://www.sdnhm.org

E-mail:     mcarrino at sdnhm.org

Mailing address:  P.O. Box 121390, San Diego, CA 92112-1390, USA

Street address: 1788 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101

P Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this
message.