[NHCOLL-L:4583] Re: Core Storage

Helen Kerbey helen.kerbey at tesco.net
Sat Oct 31 14:43:09 EDT 2009

We have a small number of cores at the National Museum of Wales that were
creating a large problem in storage location, accessibility and cleanliness.
Some of the boxes had apparently been recovered from a barn and were filled
with mouse (or maybe rat?) nests and had to be cleaned.

We followed the system used at the British Geological Survey and decanted
all of our cores that wouldn't fit onto a metre square pallet into metre
long boxes.  These were cardboard boxes ( I'm not sure but I think they have
a slightly different name in the USA?) of different widths with lids and the
first lot we had were old ones donated by the BGS.  Small diameter cores
were put in in twos, wider ones were placed singly in appropriate sized
boxes.  The metre long boxes are mostly able to be handled by one person,
and having the whole lot on a pallet makes them a lot easier to move about.
The carry string on old boxes is always a weak point so we all wore steel
toe caps when moxing core boxes about.

This coincided with the building of a new large store where we had a wall of
pallet racking put in especially for all our things on pallets.  We only
loaded them up to a certain weight but I can't remember the details at
present.

Labelling is obviously very important if you are going to decant them as you
don't want to reverse anything or loose depth markers or the way up of the
section.  Where depths were actually written on the old boxes we made new
markers for the new boxes.  We also used a lot of tissue for packing.

Our cores aren't used as much as the BGS ones but having them accessible and
properly documented means that we can at least now advertise that we have
them

I have some photos if you would like to see them.

Helen Kerbey

Research Assistant, Laboratory services
National Museum of Wales