[NHCOLL-L:4486] Re: Mould on fossils

Moore, Simon simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
Tue Sep 1 10:14:46 EDT 2009

Just to put my pennyworth in!  I also concur that alcohol is the best
neutraliser of mould and that gentle swabbing will gradually remove all
traces of mycelial growth.  I would not use any form of bleach no matter
how carefully, chloride/chlorite ions and geology specimens are not
happy partners and may lead to different problems in the future,
especially in RH-fluctuating situations!

Without wishing to open another can of worms but if some of the growth
was added to Schiff Reagent (aka Feulgen's solution = leuco-basic
fuchsin) wouldn't that give a magenta colour if it were fungal and
presumably a negative reaction if mineral?

With all good wishes,
Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council,
Department of Culture, Communities and Rural Affairs,
Museums & Archives Service,
Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane,
Winchester SO23 8RD. UK.
Internal  8 327 6737