[NHCOLL-L:4495] Re: Mould on fossils

Ann M Molineux annm at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 1 16:27:34 EDT 2009

John, As with your Cusco Museum example, the RH cannot be controlled in this building either and we have been using indicator silica gel (with a small drying oven) for specimens with known pyrite problems. We'd be interested to know the extent of the Peru problem and the number of staff required to keep it active.
We had considered creating local microclimates and keeping a 'silica gel drawer' within all enclosed cabinets (100 mostly metal) but there are almost 400 additional wooden cases with individual drawers which would need to be individually assessed.
After timing how long the gel remained active and the FTE required to achieve a reasonable silica gel exchange rate, we opted for removing as many susceptible specimens to our limited HVAC space. This approach seems to be feasible for pyrite and Byne's problems, however, the mold cases so far appear more unpredictable. We cannot yet get ahead of them!  And hence the mapping strategy.
We could try to install lowered ceiling fans (our ceiling is very high) over the cabinets and generate continuous airflow, although the building is already well-aerated. It is a large shared warehouse with doors that remain open during the daytime and vehicles drive through to various storage areas. We often wondered about those vehicle emissions and their potential effects on the specimens quite apart from the dirt particles that enter through the doorway.

ann