[NHCOLL-L:4510] RE: resitivity for water used in wet collections?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Sep 7 11:34:32 EDT 2009

I wouldn't recommend this for many reasons already discussed here
(leaching & decolouration, of specimens, etc.). Methanol denatured
alcohol should be similar to Isopropyl alcohol, at least far better then
camphor or ketones added in other countries. If the specimens are
already stored in this alcohol, leave them. The DNA of the specimens
included is degraded anyway, changing the alcohol is not improving the
situation but possibly making things worse for the specimens. But you
should consider to take separate tissue samples preserved in 96 %
Ethanol from future specimens.

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/