[NHCOLL-L:4525] RE: freezers for killing cigarette beetles

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Sep 17 11:58:27 EDT 2009

Generally speaking the -34 deg C should more than enough - I generally
recommend - 20 deg C with no defrost cycle..(based on Tom Strang's work
at CCI)   Also, go to the Museum Pests web site:
http://www.museumpests.net -- There should be a fact sheet are fact
sheets up on most of the museum pests, and there may be the results of a
survey recommending freezers that was done earlier this year posted.

Gretchen Anderson

________________________________

From: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Dallard at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:48 AM
To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
Cc: dbarring at uvm.edu; wnhswhite at netscape.net; efallen at uvm.edu
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:4523] freezers for killing cigarette beetles

Hi,

We are planning to purchase a new chest freezer for our herbarium. We
find that they are available in models that freeze to -34 deg. C or to
-40 deg. C. Does anybody know if the lower temperature is more effective
at killing cigarette beetles, or if we can get by with the less
expensive, -34 deg. C. freezer?

thanks!

Dorothy J. Allard, Ph.D.
Pringle Herbarium