[NHCOLL-L:4528] Re: Mold

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Sep 17 14:15:55 EDT 2009

I agree with John.  If it is mold it should be inactive at 43%.  I also
question the use of alcohol or acetone.  If the mold is already dead you
do not need it.  If it is alive then there is some evidence that killing
it will stress it and cause it to bite into what ever it is on - causing
staining and pitting.  Now this might not be an issue for you since it
is fossil.  There is not much that acutally kills mold spoors, and mold
spoors will simply reactivate if they find favorable conditions again
(food + a high enough RH%).

If you (or who ever is cleaning the fossils) have any propensity for
mold based alergies, I would recommend that you get fitted for at least
a half face respirator and use HEPA filters.  If the tests do come back
postitive for mold and the mold is one of the more toxic varieties then
you should definitiely use HEPA filters.  I always use HEPA filters when
I am working with mold.

Good luck!
gretchen

________________________________

From: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of John E Simmons
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:20 PM
To: hfourie at nfi.museum
Cc: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:4526] Re: Mold

This does look like mold, but at an RH of 43%, it is most probably
inactive (unless the substrate it is on is very damp).  If it is
confirmed as mold, then you should try cleaning by simply brushing it
off.  Wear a dust mask and work in an area away from the collections
(preferably under a fume hood, or outside).  If the mold is inactive,
you may not need to use alcohol or acetone or anything else.  I don't
know how effective acetone is for killing mold.

Why are you thinking of coating the specimens with acryloid?

--John

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Dr Heidi Fourie <hfourie at nfi.museum>