[NHCOLL-L:4539] RE: Question about Wet Collection

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:00:21 EDT 2009

Hi Ashley

Yes, your first course of action is to get rid of those Bakelite lids - they are terrible.  There are numerous suppliers of good alcohol resistant lids if you have not found one yet.  We use KOLS Containers and I would be happy to give you there details or to send you samples of various sizes if need be.  They should fit your existing jars.

As for the concentration problem, short of purchasing expensive equipment to determine actually concentration you could try the bead system developed by Alcomon.  Two plastic beads of different densities are placed in the alcohol and then float at different levels to give an indication of approximate concentration.  You can then adjust accordingly. http://www.alcomon.com.  I have some samples given to me the developer Dries van Dam if you would like to try them - or you may be able to get a sample from Dries.

In cases where there is very little fluid left or the fluid is badly discolored it may be wise to replace all fluid instead of trying to "make it up" to the correct concentration.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any further questions.

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA