[NHCOLL-L:4794] Re: edecs

Carol Spencer atrox10 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 20:52:07 EDT 2010

Dear Paul,
The amount of time depends on what office you are applying to (what port the
specimens are being exported or imported through), the amount of back log
the agents have at those offices and also if you have submitted the
necessary paperwork. For SFO, we always fax in any supporting documentation
immediately upon submitting our edec online, including invoices listing the
number of specimens and their scientific names, any necessary permits, any
letters from officials in the countries we are sending/importing the
specimens, and any other pertinent information (Fed Ex way bills and other
customs forms, etc). I have had our edecs clear in as little as 3 days, when
submitting all the correct paperwork. I would look  call the appropriate
office that you submitted your edec through and speak to one of the agents;
usually they can help you get everything in so that your shipment will
clear.
Also if you are bringing specimens into the country, usually they will not
clear the edec until the specimens have been imported and inspected or they
have cleared you to receive it without inspection. Again, I would call the
appropriate office, I have found that they are very helpful:
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/inspectors.htm

Cheers,
Carol

--
Carol L. Spencer
Staff Curator of Herpetology & Researcher
atrox10 at gmail.com
atrox at berkeley.edu
TEL: 510-643-5778 /FAX: 510-643-8238

http://www.herpnet.org