[NHCOLL-L:4916] Re: Isopropanol as a preservative

A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Mon Aug 2 06:57:30 EDT 2010

There are 3 main mechanisms of protein fixation.

*	Coagulation by dehydration (ethanol, acetone, ammoniumsulfate)
*	Denaturation by alteration of molecular structure (heat, detergents)
*	Polymerization by chemical (cross-)linking (formaldehyde)

Source: Walter Steinmann, 1972, Über die Konservierung in Flüssigkeit, Der Präparator 18:3-18

A fluid preservative does not have to have fixative properties (most alcohols do not, like glycols, glycerol, phenoxetol)

Most fixatives can also be used as preservatives but can be less suitable for long-term storage due to the forming of corrosive components by autoxidation and/or due to their mechanism of action (affecting DNA, color, structural integrity etc.).

Andries J. van Dam, conservator

Museum of Anatomy
Leiden University Medical Center
Postal zone T7-P
P.O. Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)71 526 9581
fax: +31 (0)71 526 8275
E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21, building 3

Associate scientist, Natural History Museum, London
http://www.nhm.ac.uk <http://www.nhm.ac.uk/>

Directory Board member ICOM-CC
http://www.icom-cc.org <http://www.icom-cc.org/>

Director Alcomon Company