[NHCOLL-L:5136] Responding to the "You Cut citizen science review"

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at mus-nature.ca
Thu Dec 16 11:08:36 EST 2010

Dear US colleagues,

(if, like me, you are not a US member, this should still be something
you pay attention to; this could happen anywhere).
---

I'm sure you have seen or heard of this "You Cut citizen science
review", but just in case...

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/YouCut/Review.htm

... it's disturbing that "museum" is one of the keywords they suggest
using to search for NSF "wasteful" spending.

Rep. Adrian Smith (R-NE) -- a member of the House Science and Tech
Committee -- has also put out a call to have people vote on NSF grants
that should not be funded.

AIBS and NSCA have posted a couple of letters to the editor in the AIBS
Legislative Action Center at
http://capwiz.com/aibs/issues/alert/?alertid=20649876.

When you go to this link, you will be presented with a prepared letter
you can send to local newspapers.  The letters can be modified or a
unique letter written.  At last check, more than 400 letters were sent
to papers across the country since last Friday.

Now is not the time to stop. A number of other scientific organizations
have passed this alert on to their members and we hope to help continue
to build some good momentum.

I encourage you participate and share this effort with your colleagues.
Feel free to use/modify the alert language at
http://capwiz.com/aibs/issues/alert/?alertid=20649876.

Sincerely,

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.

President of the Society for the Preservation of Natural History
Collections (www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org/> )