[NHCOLL-L:4660] Gas Detectors (ethanol fume sensors)

Hogue, Gabriela gabriela.hogue at ncdenr.gov
Wed Jan 6 11:58:26 EST 2010

I am posting this for my boss, Wayne Starnes.  Please respond to him at wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov<mailto:wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov>
Thanks!

Here at NCSM we are currently required by the NC Dept. of Insurance to maintain gas detectors (ethanol fume sensors) in our collection ranges.   These have proven to be a gigantic headache in terms of not only being able to conduct occasional routine tank work in the ranges but, especially, the source of frequent rashes of false alarms, including often in the middle of the night (twice last night alone).  These are wired right into the fire alarm system monitored by the NC State Capital Police and thus bring the police, fire dept. and facility management folks on the scene, unless someone is actually on the premises to alert them to the false alarm in time to call off the dogs.   The sensor heads are extremely expensive and apparently have a rather delicate constitution and relatively short effective lifespan.   One or more occasionally "go rogue" on us, become hypersensitive and/or start tripping for no apparent reason, sometimes on days/nights when no one has been working with alcohol anywhere nearby for several days.    We keep the collection ranges tightly temp & humidity controlled and thus we don't suspect any significant off-gassing from jar or tank seals as being the problem.

How many, if any, of you are required by some regulatory body to maintain a similar alarm arrangement?   As far as I know this is not an OSHA requirement but rather stems from within our state government.   As the system ages, it's presented an increasingly onerous burden on our operation and personnel but the current state budget situation doesn't permit a wholesale replacement or other comprehensive solution to the problem.  The relatively reasonably priced original sensors are no longer manufactured and the available replacements cost 3-4 times as much.

In this light, I'm trying to get a feel for how many other collections are required to use such a system.  Currently, we feel that the safety benefits derived from this system are negligible at best and are outweighed by multiple negative consequences.  We'll appreciate your comments.

*** Please Note: E-mail has recently changed to: wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov<mailto:wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov> ***

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CA8EC7.8DFAF230]Wayne C. Starnes, Ph.D., Director of Research Lab &
  Research Curator of Fishes

E-mail: wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov<mailto:wayne.starnes at ncdenr.gov> ;  Ph.:  919-733-7450 x760; Fax: 919-715-2294; Websites:  Museum -- http://www.naturalsciences.org/; NCSM Collections on Line -- http://collections.naturalsciences.org/
Postal mailing address: North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Research Lab - MSC #1626, Raleigh, NC 27699-1626 USA; Courier/Shipping (FedEx, UPS) address: NC State Museum Research Lab, 4301 Reedy Creek Rd., Raleigh, NC 27607 USA

Adjunct Faculty Appointments: Department of Biology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh;
Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University, SC; College of Veterinary Medicine, NCSU, Raleigh

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.