[NHCOLL-L:4845] RE: Museum Labels for Mammal Mounts

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Thu Jul 1 08:33:59 EDT 2010

I use regular tags with data on mounts when off exhibit.  Small tags with
only the catalog number and thread that matches pelage color when on
exhibit.  The small tag being tucked into the fur somewhere.  I'll also
write the permanent catalog number somewhere obvious on the underside of the
mount base.  And, if possible, I'll ink the number inconspicuously on the
underside of a lip, edge of a hoof or claw, on a piece of paper and tucked
into an ear.  AND, I'll annotate the collection records noting that the
mount is on exhibit.  Since it may decades and numerous changes of staff
before that mount comes back to the collections I want it well recorded what
is going on and where it is.

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
W-436 Nebraska Hall
900 N. 16th St.
Lincoln, NE  68588-0514