[NHCOLL-L:4850] RE: Museum Labels for Mammal Mounts

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Jul 2 02:48:39 EDT 2010

The tag should include not only the catalogue number but at least basic
location/collecting information. When historic mounts of the Zoological
Institute here in Munich were considered to be out of date for modern
University education and handed to our museum, the most of the specimens
still had their catalog numbers. However, there was not catalog ....
The University Collection and the ZSM collection with its valuable
historic specimens were managed as one collection until 1925 before it
was separated under Karl von Frisch between the Zoological Institute and
ZSM. The original catalog was lost in the 1970ies.

By chance we were able to identify single types from this collection,
because typically details or damages of these specific specimens had
been published. But this is 4-5 out of several hundred specimens.

The collection information is much more important then any accession or
catalog number. So it should be a general concern to kept this
information with the specimen.

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/