[NHCOLL-L:4891] RE: open for comment

Audrey_Barnhart at nps.gov Audrey_Barnhart at nps.gov
Wed Jul 21 18:46:24 EDT 2010

AMEN!  Besides, how many biologists do you know who did not enter the field
of biology without an appreciation for the tangible, living organisms?
Don't lose sight of the forest for the names of the trees.

Audrey
Audrey L. Barnhart
Curator
Fort Union Trading Post NHS
15550 Hwy 1804
Williston, ND  58801
(701)-572-9083

             "Bryant, James"
             <JBRYANT at riversid
             eca.gov>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  malcolm McCallum
             owner-nhcoll-l at li         <malcolm.mccallum at herpconbio.org>
             sts.yale.edu                                               cc
                                       "nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu"
                                       <nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu>
             07/20/2010 12:38                                      Subject
             PM                        [NHCOLL-L:4884] RE: open for
                                       comment

             Please respond to
             JBRYANT at riverside
                  ca.gov

With respect to the biological species concept, Malcolm, I entirely concur.
Systematic biology is, ultimately, a “tool kit” for use in examining the
life histories and biogeography of the living world. It surprises me how
often the importance of the biospecies principle gets lost in discussions
of systematics, both classical and genetic. I agree with E. O. Wilson when
he says that solutions to problems like climate change and energy
conservation can all be viewed more clearly through issues related to
biodiversity, but we have to be sure what diversity we’re talking about, a
great deal of it needing to be protected and conserved before we even have
the luxury of worrying how to classify it.

James M. Bryant

Curator of Natural History

Museum Department, City of Riverside

3580 Mission Inn Avenue