[NHCOLL-L:4907] Collection Management Policies online class starts Monday

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Thu Jul 29 21:20:49 EDT 2010

*
*There is still space available in the *Collections Management Policies*
online class offered by Northern States Conservation Center that starts
on Monday.
*
MS 209: Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related
Institutions*
*Instructor:* Bill Tompkins
*Dates:* Aug. 2 through Oct. 28, 2010
*Price:* $475
*Location:* online at museumclasses.org

Acquiring and holding collections impose specific legal, ethical and
professional obligations. Museums must ensure proper management,
preservation and use of their collections. A well-crafted collections
management policy is key to collections stewardship. Collections
Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions helps
participants develop policies that meet professional and legal standards
for collections management.

Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions
teaches the practical skills and knowledge needed to write and implement
such a policy. The course covers the essential components and issues a
policy should address. It also highlights the role of the policy in
carrying out a museum's mission and guiding stewardship decisions.
Participants are expected to draft collections management policies.

*Course Textbook:*
John E. Simmons, Things Great and Small: Collections Management
Policies, American Association of Museums, 2006, $40 non-member, $30
member, 208 pages, ISBN: 1-933253-03-7, available from the AAM bookstore
<http://www.aam-us.org/bookstore/detail.cfm?id=721>

*Course Outline:*
1. The Principles of Collections Management
2. Collections Stewardship: The Role of a Collections Management Policy
3. Policy Versus Procedure
4. Issues to Consider When Developing a Collections Management Policy
5. Essential Components of a Collections Management Policy
       · Statement of Purpose
       · Statement of Authority
       · Definition and Scope of Collections
       · Acquisition and Accessioning
       · Deaccessioning and Disposal
       · Preservation
       · Collections Information
       · Inventory
       · Risk Management and Security
       · Access
       · Loans
       · Intellectual Property Rights Management
       · Staff Responsibility / Ethics
6. Monitoring and Revision
7. Potential Problems
8. Emerging Issues
9. Drafting a Collections Management Policy

*Logistics:*
Participants in Collections Management Policies work through sections at
their own pace. Instructor Bill Tompkins is available for scheduled
email support. Materials and resources include online literature,
textbook readings, slide lectures and dialog between students and online
chats led by the instructor. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Collections Policies runs for twelve weeks. To reserve a spot in the
course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you
have trouble please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org

*Student Comments for MS209: Collections Management Policies:*
The online chat provided a personal touch to the class. Bill's comments
were very helpful. The required readings were a good length and
complemented the section overview and PowerPoint presentations. The
class was extremely flexible for dates and times.

Bill's readings were very helpful, more so than the textbook. The
PowerPoint slides provided a nice overview of the section.

I enjoyed the readings, and applying what I read to writing the City
policies. The class helped write policies in a logical and practical
manner, which will ultimately help in the overall goal - developing
policies for our institution.

Bill did a great job and I really enjoyed the chat times and reviewing
his comments.

The reading materials, slide shows and feedback given by Bill were
outstanding in quality.

Bill's reviews of the assignments were thorough and detailed.

Bill's lecture notes provided a good summary of the topics covered in
each section. I found them very helpful when I wrote my cmp.

I learned a great deal about cmps and am confident that I have the tools
to put my cmp in good form.

*The Instructor:*
*William G. (Bill) Tompkins* is the national collections coordinator for
the Smithsonian Institution. Bill serves as a principal advisor to
senior Smithsonian management and staff on collections-management
policies, procedures and standards. He develops, implements and
interprets Smithsonian collections management standards. This includes
reviewing and approving the policies of the Smithsonian's individual
museums to make sure collections are maintained according to policy,
professional standards and legal obligations. Previously, Bill was
assistant director of the Smithsonian's Office of the Registrar. He is
also a former collections manager at the National Museum of American
History. With nearly thirty years experience in the museum profession,
Bill regularly speaks at professional meetings, workshops and university
programs.