[NHCOLL-L:5056] Re: is the best method of preserving insect damage fruit

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 3 12:03:31 EDT 2010

>Posting on behalf of a plant health consultant who would like to
>know how to best preserve whole fruit and cucurbits damaged by
>insect larval feeding. Any suggestions appreciated.

I find it hard to imagine any way to preserve such tissues other than
the way one would *normally* preserve such things: basically, by
pickling them. Any method that involves drying, even freeze-drying,
is going to involve a loss of color, shape and definition of the
damaged portions. Even pickling may not leave things exactly as they
appeared originally. That being said, with digital photography as
cheap and easy as it is, I'd think you could do almost just as well
(better, in several respects) if one took lots and lots of close-up
photos with a scale bar in them. If nothing else, having photos means
there are no physical specimens to process and find long-term storage
for, and also means that there are as many copies as one needs,
instead of just the single original object. Only taxonomists are
absolutely forced to maintain type specimens. ;-)

Peace,