[NHCOLL-L:5064] RE: Non-NH Collections

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at mus-nature.ca
Fri Nov 5 09:34:30 EDT 2010

Karen,

For objects that are derived from actual natural history collection objects (i.e., reproductions such as photos, molds and casts, digital scans), we treat them as ancillary collections that can be used for display, exhibits, loans. They certainly have an inherent value, being to some degree a copy of the originals. They are stored in a collection environment appropriate for the medium and the electronic object record for the original object should link to these "reproductions".

As far as other objects offered for donation that are not actual natural history objects, the decision to acquire them should be based on a formal institutional decision to develop and maintain a separate collection of such objects. At the CMN, we have a Nature Art Collection, for paintings, carvings, photos and other representations of the natural world. The decision to accept an object, however, is still based on a standard acquisition process, with an assessment of the value of that object.

I hope this helps.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.

President of the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org/> )

Lead Organizer of the 2010 SPNHC & CBA-ABC Joint Conference (www.spnhc-cba2010.org <http://www.spnhc-cba2010.org/> )

Chief Collection Manager / Gestionnaire en chef des collections

Invertebrate Collections / Collections des invertébrés

Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature

P.O. Box 3443, Stn "D" / C.P. 3443, Succ. D

Ottawa, ON Canada K1P 6P4

T: 613-364-4066 / F: 613-364-4027

E/C: jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca <mailto:jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca>

http://www.nature.ca <http://www.nature.ca/>

P Thanks for thinking of the environment before printing! /

           Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer!