[NHCOLL-L:5026] Re: Labeling frozen, ethanol and nitrogen tissue tubes

Carol Spencer atrox10 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 17:05:56 EDT 2010

HI Kirsten and NH Coll (look, I am actually providing a summary Greg!):

We actually do put barcode labels on our tissues now, so once they get
cataloged or after we write on them in the field, we add a barcode sticker
that can stand up to liquid nitrogen temperatures and then associate that
barcode with the cataloged specimen in our database. So this is more
permanent. We could put a number inside, and some of our researchers do, but
yes, it is very inconvenient later when you are trying to identify tubes,
plus you have to be careful and use sterile techniques when pulling the
label out. And some use an engraving pen in the field, but not all of our
researchers, plus the b
We send tubes with subsamples out on loan, these are usually in 95% ethanol
but sometimes in dry ice, and these tubes are labeled with pens, thus why we
still need the ethanol-proof pens.

I did get a number of responses last time, to folks that use pens, labels,
or etch on the vials (some of our researchers also etch the vials, in
addition to marking them in the field). Here is a summary of the responses I
received:

I haven't found anything perfect yet, but did find something much better you
might want to check out. Diversified Biotech (divbio.com) has a solvent
resistant pen, cat. No. 122 Black, which appears to be much more resistant
to ethanol exposure than the VWR pens. I poured lots of ethanol (95%) over a
labeled tube, and while the VWR pen immediately bled badly, the DB pen ink
stayed almost completely intact. One caveat: neither can take a combination
of ethanol AND rubbing, which takes the ink right off. But I think we can
realistically avoid that combination of stresses in essentially all lab and
field conditions. If the ethanol dries, the ink again becomes very resistant
to rubbing, so there is no "permanent" effect of exposure to ethanol that I
can see right now.

atrox10 at gmail.com
atrox at berkeley.edu