[NHCOLL-L:5035] RE: Labeling rocks and fossils

Melissa Barton m.alanebarton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 02:26:47 EDT 2010

> I'm surprised that some people had troubles with Gesso. I used it to update
> the entire teaching collection of vertebrate fossils at the U of Rochester
> and it worked like a charm... no troubles applying, flaking, or anything.
> Then again, maybe there is a difference in specific Gesso brands?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's brand issue, although in general, I
suspect paint will generally be easier to use because of how the two
substances are used in art--gesso tends to be used in multiple layers
(sometimes sanded) to create a primed surface, while paint is designed to be
applied thickly in one go if desired.

-Melissa