[NHCOLL-L:4949] Re: CITES advice needed

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Sep 1 03:25:50 EDT 2010

Yes, I would agree that "trade" should read as "international movement",
but the passages I know from the European Customs legislation regulating
the import of CITES material are ambiguous here, leaving (perhaps to
much) room for interpretation. Customs law clearly focuses on commercial
trade (purchased souvenirs, products made from CITES species, etc.),
single hobbyists may be exempted for rearing of CITES species (including
even more regulations and bureaucracy) . Even zoo animals and mounted
specimen exchanged e.g. for display in natural history collections which
clearly serve for commercial interests may fall out of the strict
permits under custom regulation - but this may differ in single
countries, while I was referring to the legislation in the European
Community.

The only exception under EC legislation I know is granted for the
exchange of scientific material. At least from custom legislation
regulating the import of CITES specimens into the EC, I don't know
further restrictions such as the requirement of specific research
projects which would facilitate/limit the import. So we should pay
attention to Ellen's comment towards exact wording in the CITES
regulations (which might be interpreted in other countries in a
different way). Sorry for my generalisation.

Regarding "current CITES legislation" & CITES registering of all CITES
specimens: As I understood the recent discussion here in Europe, all
available CITES species and specimens needs to be registered. This
surely was imposed for hobbyists without overseeing the consequences for
natural history collections (zoos need to register their specimens
anyway for many reasons related with rearing & holding of endangered,
dangerous, venomous, ... species), but as far as I know there are
museums which must register single CITES specimens recently which were
e.g. on loan for exhibition/display in other museums. For good reason it
seems that nobody really wants to raise dusts here ...

Dirk