[NHCOLL-L:4966] Methods of dispensing ethanol in museum prep lab

Alexandra M Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Thu Sep 16 11:32:22 EDT 2010

In an effort to meet the directives from the (new) State
of New Mexico Fire Marshal, I am trying to find another
method for dispensing ethanol for our museum's wet prep
lab.  We process collections of fishes and herps, using
Nalgene carboys with spigots (gravity fed) to fill jars.
The inspector from the Fire Marshal's office told me to
plug the spigots and use hand pumps. (I did not mention to
him that many pumps are not suitable for alcohol or fire
rated or whatever...) I have not found a pump that fits
the 50 liter Nalgene carboys. (We have 8 carboys.)  My
experimentation with a hand pump in a 30 gallon drum
proved that dispensing ethanol via that method would not
be easy when trying to fill a 8 oz jar or anything smaller
than a gallon size bucket. The fluid gushes out so
forcefully that most of it ends up on the floor.

If anyone on the list has viable alternatives to carboys
and gravity fed spigots for dispensing ethanol, I would
appreciate hearing from you. Off list is fine because this
problem is somewhat unique (I assume) and I would like to
show the State FM that I have explored all options before
going into the next round of discussions.  (This FM is new
and does not like what the previous FM approved-despite
getting variances, etc.)

Thank you for your attention.  Lex

Alexandra M Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020 302 Yale NE
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
PH/FAX 505.277.6005
amsnyder at unm.edu