[NHCOLL-L:4981] RE: Pickled Exhibit

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Sep 24 03:23:10 EDT 2010

Hi all,

with the reconstruction of the East Wing of the Natural History Museum
the colleagues in Berlin were not only able to add a spectacular insight
in the collection itself for the public; they were racking their brains
how to step a great deal ahead with the curation of their collection,
touch unerringly on sore points of the collections to improve the situation.

They did this not behind closed doors, put invited a lot of colleagues
(mostly from German collections), to discuss these issues on a workshop.
With sharing this knowledge, not only several other museums gained from
the best practises discussed and developed on this workshop, there was
also a small but quite bright spark that ignited a fruitful discussion
on collection care, shipping problems etc. in the spin-off of this
workshop. We have to thank Peter Bartsch (Curator of Ichthyology) and
Peter Giere (Hi Peter, knowing that you follow this adulation ;o) for
their great efforts !!! The litres of boilded down coffee really paid
off besides all obstacles during planning, construction and the move of
the collections!!!

Another interesting point is, that the collection was acknowledged as
cultural heritage. By this, they receive a lot of funding from sources
which are normally pre-reserved for arts and culture.
One of the last producers for ground stopper glasses got back into
production with an order from Berlin, several other museums could
benefit from the discount by joining this order.

Thanks for all your efforts, and for the manifold cooperation !

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/