[NHCOLL-L:5240] Re: Preserving a dead shark

A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Tue Feb 1 10:19:03 EST 2011

I would not recommend to use saturated concentrations of formaldehyde. Besides the much higher health and safety risks, concentrations above 8% formaldehyde might (locally) harden the tissue in such manner that tissue damage due to manipulation is more likely to occur.

Andries J. van Dam, conservator

Museum of Anatomy
Leiden University Medical Center
Postal zone T7-P
P.O. Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)71 526 9581
fax: +31 (0)71 526 8275
E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21, building 3

Scientific collection manager, Netherlands Centre for Biodiversity Naturalis

http://www.ncbnaturalis.nl/en/

Associate scientist, Natural History Museum, London
http://www.nhm.ac.uk <http://www.nhm.ac.uk/>

Directory Board member ICOM-CC
http://www.icom-cc.org <http://www.icom-cc.org/>

Director Alcomon Company