[NHCOLL-L:5283] Re: Sealing wet collection jars

Herrera, Joan Joan.Herrera at MyFWC.com
Wed Feb 23 06:40:02 EST 2011

Dear Ashley:  We used to wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the lids and overlapping onto the jars.  This works pretty well, but leaves an adhesive residue when the jars are opened.  At this time we are using a plastic insert called a "caplug" supplied by a company called "caplugs".  They work very well and the company has a website.  You do need to make sure to use a lid that will tighten down over the top of the plug which should sit flush on the top of the glass.

Joan

Joan Herrera, Ph.D.
Curator of Collections
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
100 8th Avenue SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 896-8626 x1206
FAX (727) 823-0166

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Erik Åhlander
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:09 AM
To: 'NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu'
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:5282] Re: Sealing wet collection jars

Dear Ashley,

Are the jars of the type with the the upper face grind to level?

We have made experience during the last 10 yers with circular pieces of plain glass (ordered to size from the local glazier). On the contact areas we apply a thin cover of good quality grease (of the kind used in chemistry for dessicators, with silicon base, or previously, lanolin). To stop the glass lid to move, we wind around it with food wrap a few turns.

The temperature in our lab is a few degrees above that in our store room which creates a minor vacuum in the jars which has made this method quite successful. Our observation is also that a few turns with the food wrap is useful also on large glass jars with plastic twist lids. Evaporation is decreased but not stopped.

This technic is possible also for exhibition purpose, although more time consuming. We made some experiments with parafilm as a sealer some 20 years ago, but left it. It was quite difficult to make a nice job, but more important, 10 years later the parafilm is not elastic any longer - with reduced effect to lower evaporation.

(I never translated these technical terms to english before! Please, correct me if I am unclear!)

Erik

Erik Åhlander, Collection Manager - Fishes
Swedish Museum of Natural History
(Naturhistoriska riksmuseet)
Section for Vertebrate Zoology
(Frescativagen 40)
P.O. Box 50007; S-104 05 STOCKHOLM, Sweden
Phone +46 8 51954118; Fax +46 8 51954212
Cellular +46 70 2252716
email: erik.ahlander at nrm.se