[NHCOLL-L:5286] Sealing wet collection jars

Paul Callomon Callomon at ansp.org
Wed Feb 23 10:24:45 EST 2011

Here at the Academy, we use a Polyethylene lid with a teflon/foam/teflon laminated liner. These are sold by O. Berk, and we have had great results with them.
Wrapping any screw-down lid with tape is a bad idea, in my opinion. It simply hides issues like cracking, warping or rust, and is not likely to seal against vapor pressure, particularly if temperatures in the room rise beyond a certain percentage.
Finally, I would never use electrical tape as a sealant. It shrinks and hardens over time, and leaves gummy residues. The old-style electrical tape (adhesive linen tape) would be a better bet, but you can't get it any more.

PC.

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170